Just been modelling assets this whole month. That's it. End of blog post. Goodbye. Take it easy. Au revoir. Auf Wiedersehen. (I joke 😊)
After modelling and texturing a few more props, I decided to start planning out a diner scene with the models already made. The above picture (⇧) is the initial layout of the scene, and will probably be changed in the future, to comply to an example of a level that could be in a game. Making it more focused and thinking about what the goal is for the player in that said space. (Also, the lighting of the scene has not been worked on, so don't judge the lights Sonny Jim!)
Off the bat, the scene has helped with what the scale of each object should be. I tried scaling them as close as possible in Maya, but when importing into Unity, some just needed a little adjusting. I'm planning to put some more time into resizing some props when all the models are finished and imported into Unity, and then freezing each of the adjusted objects transform components. Even though I'm trying to scale them to a reasonable size when working on them as I go.
During modelling in Maya, I figured out for this pack of assets, it helps to model the low poly object first and then the high poly afterwards. This helps me keep the poly count to a minimum. For some models, I started creating the high poly first and then by subtracting edges, faces, and vertices, I ended up with the low poly. But doing so, the assets still ended up having a lot more polygons than intended with the final low poly model. I also need to keep in mind that some of the smaller objects don't need to have little details extruded out in its low poly model. The object will be looked at from a distance and not inspected from a centimetre away.
Also, a tip: When creating assets, YouTube and/or TuneIn radio (or even Spotify) are your best friends. You start listening to a 60s ,70s or 80s radio station on TuneIn or a Top 100 songs playlist on YouTube... mate. In the words of the band Starship... "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now".